Monday, March 15, 2010

Bartlett's Quotes

A few months ago I bought Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (17th edition) and I've slowly been reading my way through it's 863 pages of passages and phrases. I haven't even gotten through a quarter of it, but I wanted to share a few I thought were really good so far. I'll continue making posts of quotes as I go along.

"Even a thought, even a possibility, can shatter us and transform us." - Nietzsche

"Often an entire city has suffered because of an evil man." - Hesiod

"He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened." - Lao-tzu

"The opposite is beneficial; from things that differ comes the fairest attunement; all things are born through strife." -Heraclitus

"When good men die their goodness does not perish, but lives though they are gone. As for the bad, all that was theirs dies and is buried with them." - Euripides

"Waste not fresh tears over old griefs." - Euripides

"This is the bitterest pain among men, to have much knowledge and no power." - Herodotus

"I love good creditable acquaintance; I love to be the worst of the company." - Jonathan Swift

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Swift

"Procrastination is the thief of time." - Edward Young

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." -Robert Frost

"In revenge and in love woman is more barbarous than man." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Nietzsche

"One must separate from anything that forces one to repeat No again and again." -Nietzsche

No comments:

Post a Comment