Thursday, July 8, 2010

Renting guilt trip


Everywhere you look these days, another Blockbuster is shutting down. In Gainesville on Archer, a very busy road, the Blockbuster has been shut down - which to me, was very surprising, especially in a college town.

But when I really thought about it, if other kids in town are like me, they've been hitting up the Red Box or Blockbuster Express any time they want a movie, signing up for Net Flix or searching for a free streaming video online. I honestly can't remember the last time I've gone to Blockbuster. Even my parents, who have been avid renters for years, rarely rent anymore.

In these hard times, it's just not as important anymore. And with more cheap (or many times, free) and convenient ways to see movies such as the Red Box and Net Flix, why waste more money by going to a video store?

As much as I've turned my back on video stores, I feel really guilty for it. Most of the time I'm perfectly fine with my streaming movies online and $1 new releases. But there are times when I want it to be like the old times - going to the video store and looking around, reading the back of the movies, buying popcorn and candy, or trying out video games. Just like I still like to have some tangible books on the shelves, cds in my car and magazines on my desk.

As bad as I feel, I can't help the fact that things today are more convenient, and I have to realize I can't always have things both ways. Hopefully, there will be at least one surviving video store in the city of Gainesville - but I won't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment