Thursday, June 10, 2010

New experiences

With the amount of free time I've had this summer, I've realized a few things. Since last semester I was busy with school, I had a basic routine. I barely did anything new, except for the things I learned in my classes. I was used to my schedule, and I was ok with that. But since the beginning of this summer, I've had a ton of free time to do whatever I want. I've hung out with my friends, bought a longboard, have been reading, and just overall jumping at more opportunities because I don't have a reason not to.


Obviously, having more free time to do what we really want will naturally make us happier. But my point is, I've been doing new things. I've read a couple of books that have really made me think. I got 6 new cds, 4 of which are a type of music I haven't listened to much before. I went tubing, something I haven't done since I was a kid and something I've been wanting to do for years. I considered changing my major, something I haven't even thought twice about since my senior year of high school. I bought a longboard, and I cut my hair shorter than it's ever been.


All of these things didn't seem very significant at the time, but looking back I realize all these things mean something. I've realized that trying new things is an extremely important part of life, because it keeps it exciting and it shows that you've grown. How can you grow or better get to know/create yourself when you don't do anything new? You can't always let new challenges or opportunities come to you; you have to seek them out yourself.


Sometimes that means stepping out of your comfort zone. But that's the whole point. You never know what you can find that way. You never know how great that something can be.


That's why I decided to make sure every month, I'd learn or try something new. It can be something big or small, but as long as I have it, I'll feel like I'm going somewhere instead of just sitting and letting life pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment